The most important thing I realized is that painful breakups, unrequited love, shitty jobs and the like help us to BUILD CHARACTER and that no matter how bad it feels, we are much better off because of it. Sometimes you have to stand alone to make sure you can. Forget what you want to remember what you deserve.You may not end up where you thought you'd be, but you'll always end up where you were meant to be. You can either let these bad things, define you, destroy you or strengthen you. Fight through it like a warrior. Greater things are to come.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Last Post about University

Blogging crave again- figured l'll satisfy that crave before it goes away.

Last night it was another GCM (Beyond the GCM years as i call it) event where it was originally K.Li's farewell party that morphed into E & LV's surprise joint-birthday event the moment K.Li announced that he WASNT moving to N.Bay anymore =____='' lol so no DQ Treat for him. As always, our surprises always work out at the end, so good job to us for being such great coordinators lol

There were SO many highlights to the night but a few that stood out and i could type the least amount to describe it was:
  • the food fight, chocolate was EVERYWHERE
  • the no-exploding power, exploding paper shooters that just created a big mess for the staff at the karaoke place (they must really, really hate us)
  • the 20 minutes before our surprise. it took four people to untangle two batches of balllooons that miraculously tied themselves in the car, while trying to cue the people at the place to play Happy Birthday as we entered the room
  • i got slapped so many times by k.li lollll
  • but in return everyone took turns slapping him to sober up. lol
I figured l'll do my POST-GCM summary entry (the one Ive been meaning to write after convocation) right now to tie up everything.

###

It has been a month since i've officially graduated from the Graphic Communications Management program with my Bachelor of Technology of degree and minor in Marketing. With that said, not only have i graduated with an expensive piece of paper, a "title", a shitload of knowledge on the exciting world of Print and a new appreciation for paper and ink- I came out of my four years at Ryerson University with a bunch of people whom I have been calling my GCM family and have grown very fond of, a changed personality and philosophy in life, and a mister who has become my best friend, my listner, my play date and chicken-wings partner.

When i first applied to University, i went for Communications @ York, Fashion Communications @ Ryerson and GCM @ Ryerson...even know I know my heart was set on GCM because my cousin graduated from there some years ago, so choosing it wasnt a tough decision when i was accepted to all three. There were 3 programs however, that I did not apply for and it was Fine Arts @ York, Graphic Design @ OCAD and Design @ York/Sheridan. The reason being was my mind was set on the fact that I was simply not good enough for any art program even though I was applying from a Special Arts highschool (where I had almost as much Art courses, as i did with my academic courses), prior knowledge on how to use all the Adobe programs and recommendations from several art teachers. It makes me wonder and question, what my fate would have been if i had in fact chosen the art route, or any other route for the matter instead of choosing Print. Would i have had grown with a bunch of fantastic, good-hearted people? Would i have crossed path with the mister? Would I have been less bitter? lol The many what if-s will always remain a mystery in this life time.

Four years ago, I entered GCM with a brand new mindset to start fresh, start new, start again. That prior summer was a painful summer that taught me what betrayal felt like and the year prior to that was the darkest period of my life. The period where there was no sunshine, no smiles, no will, no tries. Only pain, darkness, and the will to do nothing but sit where i was because i have fallen so hard. It felt nice, to see new faces and have new goals and ambitions. That was when i met my four girls, the family that held me up and were my pillars for all those "moments".

Each of us, different in our own ways, somehow clicked and stuck by each other through the years despite differences and drama. Let's use these coming years as a test, to see can distance and time apart from each other change that. If it doesnt, bless the higher being, and if it does- it does not change any of those memories we created in the past four years that has influenced us into the person we are today. I love you girls, and this here in this blog entry is my official note of that.

Over the years, memories were accumulated and here is a couple that stands out:
  • Getting so wasted for premedia
  • Getting so wasted for marketing and management 101
  • L.Vo, the water fountain that sprayed water because she was so trashed
  • Vodka mixed with strawberry bbt
  • Peach schnapps and tall jenn
  • Drinking in the stairwell at the engineer building
  • Downing bottles of baileys right after exams in 2nd year
  • Failing premedia twice. Once when the class avg was 46 and 2nd time was boosted by 0.5%
  • My secret notes affair
  • Our trashed pub afternoon
  • The night when I thought dai jut lo was going to kill me
  • Secret picture stash on my C: (that is not so secretive anymore)
  • The candygram jannet bought me for valentines day through the GCM union that I NEVER RECEIVED TO THIS DAY. Its been three years. Hahaha
  • Pub Night @ distrik or something crazy like that
  • the stories that tall jenn and I wrote in code and nobody would EVER get
  • Instrumentations allnighters
  • Pickle barrel 5 days in a row
  • Hot Gang and the fan club
  • The first time I saw the mister in our GRA class- I told Wa to sit beside him because I didn’t wanna sit next to the foreign chinese guy hahaha
  • Tall jenn’s camera fish bag
  • Robert leung and Deedee wong
  • Nice-Arm and Dai-Jut-Lo fantasies
  • Blades (Hair)
hahaha : ))))

Then there was the extension to the family with the other kids, and the rez girls whom made life much more fun. I feel so fortunate to be able to go through university and am able to tell people that the people i chilled with at school are like family to me. I think it would have been very different if i was to have been in a program that had 300 people (in the same year). Instead i was blessed with great people and im quite thankful for that. Hopefully everyone else sees this and contribute to making an effort to maintain to stay in touch and remain a fam.

Specifically l'll like to sneak in a smaller subgroup whom ive grown very, very fond of in the past two years. This would be with coco, junior and the mister. Its very different, when i hang with these guys. The mood is different, and i guess we all understand each other very throughly while others may have small misconceptions. We talk about pretty much everything and as simple as that sounds, its actually hard to be do so with other people. It really makes no sense as im rereading this.....but its okay. I'm going to leave it at that. I can almost confidently say, that these guys will not disappear from my life anytime soon- and thats saying a lot seeing lots may change.

Then there's the mister. I don't even know where to start with him, which is why im going to make this short. I met him in year 2, and i remember the first time i saw him in the lecture hall, i made Wa sit beside him because i didnt want to sit beside that "foreign chinese guy" hahaha Who the hell knew eight months later i would be dating that foreign chinese guy whom nobody knew his real age haha : )) Funny how things work out, but im glad it worked out that way for both our fates. Life simply is as perfect as it can be.

After four years, all the drama, projects and personal obstacles that i endured and survived, I can conclude I will be forever, that bubbly talkactive girl that speaks loudly but I don't see myself as being as kind as i was four years ago (seriously lol). I am still as forgiving as ever, but i do remember the little things that have inflicted pain on me. It's because going through four years, i have learned to see the truth in people and the darkness that everyone is capable of. I do strongly believe in karma and it will bite you in the ass if you have ever done anyone wrong. I guess because of all this, it has made me a stronger person. Not the strongest, but notably stronger. (I don't cry as much now haha!) Yay for me.

Also a note on the subject of the TOPIC that my studies surrounded. As much as we all say we hate print, we want to get rid of print and cannot stay in print forever, i find myself loving Print. The other day, i had a 2 hour meeting with an organizer of the Graphics Canada show (Canada's largest Print/Graphic Arts Show that happens every 2 years) and i found every topic that came up during our discussion, was oh-so exciting. I even find myself flipping through the pages of Graphic Arts Monthly during office hours, reading about oh-so exciting topics on Print. Go figure. lol Hate it, love it- im destined to be stuck with Print forever (directly or in-directly).

I think i summarized my post-secondary experience up pretty well. It was great, it was undescribeable and ultimately, it was the right choice. No regrets, whatsoever.

0 comments:

tweeet tweeet


    TWEET WITH ME