The most important thing I realized is that painful breakups, unrequited love, shitty jobs and the like help us to BUILD CHARACTER and that no matter how bad it feels, we are much better off because of it. Sometimes you have to stand alone to make sure you can. Forget what you want to remember what you deserve.You may not end up where you thought you'd be, but you'll always end up where you were meant to be. You can either let these bad things, define you, destroy you or strengthen you. Fight through it like a warrior. Greater things are to come.

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Art Show

Today my cousin accompanied me in going to the OCAD Art Show and we both were failed to be informed that it seemed to be the GRADUATE (master degree) design show instead of undergrads (the advertising/graphic design/packaging majors anyways)...which made things all the more depressing because you see all these awesome Thesis projects, a girl that has worked with corporate companies (i.e. Sobeys, la Vie en Rose, etc.) to do branding and some other pretty awesome stuff that i feel like i can never do. I guess it might have been my mood, the weather and the lack of food but it just made the future looked all the more gloomy when the cousin asked me what was my "ultimate" goal in 10-15 years. What did i want to retire as? I really didn't know how to answer her (& i told her that) because i don't even know what area i want to end up in. That's something i still have to figure out....which sucks.

Jumping back to the grad show.

  1. OCAD is apparently now calling themselves OCAD U(niversity) which i think is so damn lame because the word COLLEGE is still in their name but whatever. 
  2. From a GCM standpoint, these "Master" graduates does not have a single idea how to print things. Wow business cards were so poorly printed, low resolutions in huge 40" posters, terrible finishing and cutting, rough edges, bad choice of stock, bad readability- i disapproved almost 70% of the printed pieces that was displayed. 
  3. In my opinion- the York/Sheridan Design Show is better aka. the York/Sheridan Design Students are better at what they do. I recall at their last 2 Grad Shows, i was honestly swept away by the talent i saw and i also swept away MANY business cards (i only took about 5 or 6 for STOCK sample purposes from this show...not really for design inspiration) heh. What was really sad about THIS show was there was probably only about five Masters (not Undergrad like York/Sheridan) students that stood out from what i think is maybe a class of 80-100 or even more. The ones that were VERY GOOD, were VERY GOOD (lol)....the others kinda bored me....but that's just an opinion coming from someone who claims shes a designer but cannot draw a school bus.
The show lost our interest after checking out Industrial & Environmental Design. We half-assed the Drawing & Painting floor because i don't understand fine art and the cousin did not enjoy ANY of the pieces on display. I am clearly more blunt and to-the-point and all about visual appeal than being conceptual and profound. I rmb in highschool i dreaded doing Sketchbook ISUs and tried to scam my way out of it. Not b/c i was lazy but because i needed to hide the fact that i cannot draw....sighs. i am such a fraud. And then we didn't even bothered with Photography, integrated media, print making and sculptures. Yawn.

Thanks for going down with me today dear....it means a lot. I'm sorry about the absence of my usual energetic and cheerful self. 

# # #

Just came home with the family for an early mothers day dinner. I think my performance was passable. I think today was the first time i laughed in front of them when my dad started slurping his crab legs...im sadden that i worry them. Hopefully with today seeing me at least speaking a bit and snorting it would make them feel better.

Oh and the sudden snow is really shitty. brrrr.

# # #

今晚將是一個星期...希望不會太痛...

1 comments:

MsTran said...

Unfortunately, the show wasn't that good... but i'm glad I went with you :)

honestly, I wasn't energetic either :)

I loves you :)

Archive

tweeet tweeet


    TWEET WITH ME